April 5, 2013 by bridgitgillis
I have two dogs, and although I like having them, I do not like dog odor. When my current store-bought conditioning and refreshing spray ran out, I decided to make my own. I am currently a huge fan of peppermint oil (I use it in baking soda on my carpets as well) so I decided to make a spray out of it. It works great, and the olive oil I put in it helps condition and make their coats look shiny.
An additional perk of using peppermint oil is that it is a natural pest repellent! Adding lemongrass, eucalyptus, or citronella to your peppermint mixture is said to increase the repellent quality. (A mixture similar to this can be made for humans as well)
Items you will need:
– Empty spray bottle
– Peppermint essential oil (Also consider eucalyptus essential oil)
– Olive oil (or another oil of your choosing, like coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, etc.)
– Splash of rubbing alcohol
– Fill your bottle 2/3 full of water
– Add 3-4 tbsp of olive oil
– Add a splash of rubbing alcohol
– Add drops of peppermint until it reaches a strength you like (I used about 20)
– Add drops of other oils if you choose to add them
You will need to shake the bottle before spraying, as the oil tends to float to the top.