November 10, 2015 by bridgitgillis
There are lots of cool printable signs for Christmas out there on the internet. The problem that I ran into was that I wanted a BIG picture to place on my mantle. (Don’t mind the fall decorations by the sign- I’ll post some updated pics with Christmas décor after Thanksgiving!) This particular canvas is 22 x 28 inches. Thanks to a sale at my local craft store, I was able to make this centerpiece for less than $20.
In order to make this sign, I made a template in Microsoft Publisher. I printed the template on 9 pages and taped them together. (See below)
I made two different templates, which are available for your own personal use here.
Here is a PDF version of Template #1- oh holy night
Here is a PDF version of Template #2- oh holy night2
Directions to make your own sign:
Items Needed: Template to use as a transfer, canvas in your preferred size, pencil, scotch tape, masking tape, paint, paintbrush
- Choose your template and print it in your desired size. I chose to print my template 2 inches smaller than my canvas.
- Paint your canvas the base color of your choice.
- Tape your template together with scotch tape if needed. Turn the template over to the back side and color the back of the image with pencil.
- Center the template right side up onto the canvas (once your base color is fully dry) and use masking tape to keep it in place.
- Trace the outside of the letters and star, checking to make sure your image is transferring so that it is visible. (see picture below)
- Remove the template and fill in your letters and star with paint.
*Templates and instructions are provided for your personal use only. Images are not to be used for resale or for projects made for profit.