July 9, 2016 by bridgitgillis
DIY Pallet Scarf/Coat Hanger
For a while now, I’ve wanted to make something to hang my scarves on instead of digging through a drawer for the one that I want. I also had the wall space for a new project, so it was a win-win! The last time I went back to visit my childhood home, I asked my dad if he had any old knobs around the house. I had originally envisioned old, mismatched knobs for this project, but all he had were these white porcelain knobs that are more likely older than me.They have sat in a garage for upwards of 20 years, and now they have new life holding my scarves.
Small pieces of wood to hold the back together
Electric screw gun with drill bit and regular bit
Sandpaper or electric sander
Something to hang it with
Stain or paint
- Cut your wood to desired length. (I didn’t need to cut mine)
- Sand all sides with sand paper or electric sander.
- Attach the boards with small pieces of wood and screws, screwing from the back towards the front. Make sure your screws are short enough that they won’t poke through the front of the board. (I broke a paint stir stick in half and used it to hold them together.
- Figure out where you want your knobs to go. Look at the screws in the knob and choose a drill bit the appropriate size. Drill the holes for your knobs in the appropriate places.
- Stain or paint the front and sides of your wood. For the whitewashed look, I used a mixture of paint and water.
- Once dry, attach your knobs.
- Attach your hanging hardware. (Picture hanging hardware works well and is super cheap)
- Hang up your scarves and enjoy!